A company’s Income Statement is the breakdown of its income and expenses over a period of time specified by the management. It shows the differences between the net income and the net expenses and clearly portraits the performances of the organization within the time specified.
In a layman word, Income Statements show if a company is losing or profiting within the time checked. Guessing the performances of an organization without a clearly verified process can give deceptive and confusing results. Preparing an Income Statement is a safe and sure way of ensuring there are no doubts in a company’s financial outlook. It helps the management to plan for the future as well as determine a change of direction in business activities.
Income Statements can be calculated on a monthly, quarterly, bi-annual or yearly basis depending on the need to the organization involved. For instance, if it is needed for a bank loan, you may need to do a year-long statement while quarterly statements may be used to track the performance of a business strategy or review business operations over a period of time.
How to prepare an Income Statement?
To prepare an Income Statement, a company needs to review all its incomes and revenues. This will help to know how much proceeding is generated at the time being reviewed. These are proceedings from the sale of goods and services; proceedings from sales of properties and disposable assets; other non-operational revenues like interests on loan and payment received from rents, benefits from lawsuits and so on.
For an organization, returns are declared on goods and services provided to the clients even before vouchers are cleared or payment made. So, the organization sums up all these and add them up to give the gross revenue value for the period considered. On the other hand, expenses are calculated by adding up all the values accruing from the process of product/service production. This should also include the losses incurred and the payments intended as benefits during such production.
Preparing Income Statements
Having generated the gross incomes/revenues against the expenses incurred, it becomes easier to generate the net income/loss. You can now subtract the expenses directly incurred within the time from the revenue accruing to the business at the same time. This can be expressed by the following equation:
“Net income (or loss) = (revenue + gains) – (expenses + losses)”
An organization will be considered to have declared profit or loss depending on the results generated from this.
Income Statements are not death warrants for an organization when they turn out negative. Indeed, they are like positive impulses that the management to use to properly chart the course of an organization rightly. It may be showing that the processes and the business model in place need to be improved or replaced. It may also be calling for a total overhaul or operational style and definitely requires management intervention to survive.
Ultimately, such information is timely and important if the people involved accept it and take steps to work on it.
Here is our collection of 27 Income Statement Examples & Templates (Single/Multi step, Pro-forma,
Download Income Statement Template 01
Download Income Statement Template 02
Download Income Statement Template 03
Download Income Statement Template 04
Download Income Statement Template 05
Download Income Statement Template 06
Download Income Statement Template 07
Download Income Statement Template 08
Download Income Statement Template 09
Download Income Statement Template 10
Download Income Statement Template 11
Download Income Statement Template 12
Download Income Statement Template 13
Download Income Statement Template 14
Download Income Statement Template 15
Download Income Statement Template 16
Download Income Statement Template 17
Download Income Statement Template 18
Download Income Statement Template 19
Download Income Statement Template 20
Download Income Statement Template 21
Download Income Statement Template 22
Download Income Statement Template 23
Download Income Statement Template 24
Download Income Statement Template 25
Download Income Statement Template 26
Download Income Statement Template 27
- 40 GAP Analysis Templates & Examples (Word, Excel, PDF) A GAP Analysis explains the difference between the expected performance of a business, its operations and the actual outputs of such business. A GAP Analysis shows that a system is performing below the expected standards and may need to be reviewed for optimum performance. As the name implies, in an everyday language, it shows that there is a gap to be bridged. In the analysis, […]
- Salary Slip Format Preparing salary slips needs time to work and expenses money. It's a waste of peoples resources as staff members which prepare salary slips are much better utilized in organizing other documents or perhaps in carrying out other lucrative tasks to the business. The cost is additional amplified to those businesses' that deliver their particular staff members payslips by post workplace […]
- 49 Free Job Description Templates & Examples When applying for a job, carefully reading and reviewing the Job Description is extremely important. Everything that you need to know in order to apply effectively with confidence should be contained in the Job Description.
The first thing to take note of is the job title. A good job title will give you an idea of what the job is and what you will be doing. For example, if the job […]
- 30 Free Professional LLC Operating Agreement Templates When setting up an LLC Operating Agreement, one should understand that this will be laying the groundwork for your company and how it will be run. Different states have different rules about whether or not an LLC needs to set up an operating agreement. But it is a very good idea so that everyone knows how things will run in this company and many other details.
One of the first […]
- 40 Free Organizational Chart Templates (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) An Organization Chart or Organogram is a representation of the hierarchy of power within the organization. In other words, it is a diagram used to show the flow of power within an organization. An Organization Chart always starts with the highest authority and trickles down to the one with the lowest authority. Preparing an organizational chart should be done with so much attention to […]
- 39 Free Purchase Order Templates in Word & Excel A Purchase Order Document is a formal document that is used to show that a particular order for the purchase of items has been placed. It is important always to use a Purchase Order Document. This is because it will make the supplier accountable in case they fail to deliver the purchase order. A Purchase Order is used to show an agreement between a buyer and a supplier that on a […]
- 36 Free Business Proposal Templates & Proposal Letter Samples A Business Proposal is a formal document which can be used to apply for a business loan or request for external funding from prospective investors. A Business Proposal is a detailed summary of the business. It covers the scope of the business in terms of finances, market, and all the important aspects of the business. However, writing a Business Proposal can be a daunting task since it […]
- 37 Free Gantt Chart Templates (Excel, PowerPoint, Word) A Gantt Chart is a tool used for project management. This is most often used when having to organize several individuals and the many different tasks associated with that project. Gantt Charts are bar charts that show how much time it’s expected to finish a particular task that is important to a project. It also shows how much time it actually takes for those tasks to be completed. It […]
- 35 Free Beautiful Binder Cover Templates Binder Covers can be a bright and colorful way to organize information in the office, at school, and at home. They can also be a dynamic way to draw attention to your organization and help people remember you.
Binder Covers that are used for business should be unique, colorful, yet professional. This can be achieved by making certain that your company or organization’s name is […]
- 59 Free Receipt Templates (Cash, Sales, Donation, Rent, Payment and more) Receipts are clear and simple business documents issued to show that the recipient had made payment for a specified product or service. A receipt may be issued for service rendered; for instance, this includes receipts from a school account office for school fees, from a laundry service provider, from an organizer of a training program, and so on. It could also be issued for product […]