A Periodic Table is a scientific table which consists of rows and columns. The columns represent the groups while the rows represent the periods. The rows and columns are then filled with elements which correspond to the various groups and periods indicated. In order to understand a Periodic Table, you need to know the number of electrons which an atom has. A typical Periodic Table consists of 8 groups and about 4 periods. In order to understand this, you need to know the basic structure of an atom.
An atom basically consists of a nucleus containing protons (which are positively charged), and energy levels containing electrons (which are negatively charged). The nucleus is the center-most part of the atom. The number of energy levels depends on the number of electrons present in the atom. The first energy level can hold only two electrons while all the others can hold up to 8 electrons. Therefore, if an atom has 10 electrons, then its electron configuration will be 2.8. This means that it will have two energy levels and 8 electrons on its outermost energy level.
Using the example given above, we can conclude that the said atom is in group 8 and period 2. This is because the group is determined by the number of electrons on the outermost energy level, while the period is determined by the number of energy levels present. All the elements in group 7 of the Periodic Table are known as halogens. The elements in group 8 of the Periodic Table are known as noble gases. Hydrogen has only one electron. Therefore it can either be in group 1 or group 7 of the Periodic Table. However, most of the times, Hydrogen always appears in group 1 of the Periodic Table.
Groups of the Periodic Table
Group 1 of the Periodic Table consists of metals. These are the elements which have only 1 electron on their outermost energy level. In order for them to gain stability, they need to lose this outermost electron. The elements of this group can easily bond with the elements in group 7 of the Periodic Table. The elements in group 1 are always highly reactive, and they form strong metallic bonds when bonding.
Group 2 and three elements are also metals. They have to lose 2 and 3 electrons respectively for them to become stable. Group 4 elements are called transition metals. This is because they are neither metals nor non-metals. For them to become stable, they can either lose the 4 electrons on their outermost energy level or gain 4 more electrons. Group 5 and 6 are non-metals, and they have to gain 3 and 2 electrons respectively for them to become stable. Group 7 elements are called halogen and the gain 1 electron to become stable, while group 8 elements are called noble gases or rare gases.
The number of energy levels corresponds to the period of the element. For example, if the electron configuration is 2.8.2, then the element has 3 energy levels and thus belongs to period 3 and group 2 of the Periodic Table.
Here is our collection of 29 Printable Periodic Tables (FREE Download),
Download printable periodic table 01
Download printable periodic table 02
Download printable periodic table 03
Download printable periodic table 04
Download printable periodic table 05
Download printable periodic table 06
Download printable periodic table 07
Download printable periodic table 08
Download printable periodic table 09
Download printable periodic table 10
Download printable periodic table 11
Download printable periodic table 12
Download printable periodic table 13
Download printable periodic table 14
Download printable periodic table 15
Download printable periodic table 16
Download printable periodic table 17
Download printable periodic table 18
Download printable periodic table 19
Download printable periodic table 20
Download printable periodic table 21
Download printable periodic table 22
Download printable periodic table 23
Download printable periodic table 24
Download printable periodic table 25
Download printable periodic table 26
Download printable periodic table 27
Download printable periodic table 28
Download printable periodic table 29
- 40 Printable Fax Cover Sheet Templates Faxes have existed for many years and their importance giving in prompt, short and formal correspondence cannot be over-stressed. However, as changes and modifications increase in business correspondence, there have also been a couple of changes in the way faxes are used. Faxes are business correspondence source used for sharing information and data in a prompt and clear-cut way that […]
- 32 Blood Type Diet Charts & Printable Tables Sometimes, one of the most difficult decisions to make is getting disciplined about what you eat. The reason is quite simple. When you consider the efforts needed to ignore the pull to attractive but unhealthy meals, the ease of preparation and the appeal of the amazing taste (do I need to say the taste as strong as the addiction), you won’t need further explanations to why many people […]
- 29 Great Pay Slip / Paycheck Stub Templates A Pay Slip is a document that shows the details of an employee’s earnings and other officially verified financial obligations of an employee over a stipulated period of time. It is an important financial document to the owner as it can be used for several legal and financial purposes. As a token of financial documents, Paycheck have evolved over time. From being just pieces of papers […]
- 33 Free Printable Graph Paper Templates (Word, PDF) A Graph Paper, also known as coordinate, square or grid paper, is having very fine lines printed on it making up a grid like formation. The lines run from top to bottom and from left to right side, covering the paper entirely with boxes, circle, rectangles, triangles etc. Their notebooks and separate leafs are easily available in stores. They can also be downloaded from computer. The […]
- 46 Fee Printable Bill of Sale Templates (Car, Boat, Gun, Vehicle…) There are many ways to own a property. One of the common ones is to purchase it from a user who is willing to do away with it or someone who intends to get a new one. There are, however, many pitfalls to avoid while purchasing a property from a private owner. One of the finest ways to navigate such pitfalls is to ensure you are issued a Bill of Sale document by the seller. Many […]
- 31 Free Brochure Templates (MS Word and PDF) Brochures are leaflets that are used to circulate information to the majority of the target audience. They are also a good way of marketing your brand to the public and one of the best ways of relaying information. They are an excellent platform for advertisement too. However, there are different types of brochures. These include the Electronic Brochures and Printed Brochures. […]
- Apology Letter Template When you really require to apologize to someone for example explanation or any other, composing an apology page is an excellent way to do so. When you write a letter, you're using the time required to believe about why you are sorry, portray it into the right method, and permit the specific realize that these are typically really worth the energy it will require to write a personal […]
- Formal Meeting Agenda Template A meeting can also be a political meeting. The primary purpose of any political meeting is to procure more supporters when it comes to party who has summoned the meeting. Charismatic political frontrunners can influence the masses because of the sheer power of their particular terms. As a result, governmental group meetings lead a lot of individuals to repudiate their own functions, […]
- 49 Free Job Description Templates & Examples When applying for a job, carefully reading and reviewing the Job Description is extremely important. Everything that you need to know in order to apply effectively with confidence should be contained in the Job Description.
The first thing to take note of is the job title. A good job title will give you an idea of what the job is and what you will be doing. For example, if the job […]
- 50 Free Power of Attorney Forms & Templates (Durable, Medical) Nobody prays to become incapacitated to the extent that another person takes important decisions for him/her. However, it turns out that such scenario happens many times, and in many cases, the people involved wished they’d planned for such possibility. A Power of Attorney is a legal document that you can deploy to ensure that someone is officially designated to make important […]